Forums

Forum Home > Echo Development > Benefits and Downfalls of Rooting

Deviath

I'm completely new to rooting and have never performed it before on any device at all. What are the benefits to rooting a device and more importantly, the cons and are they carrier based at all?

--

Deviath of Lethal Injektion

December 20, 2011 at 4:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Miquiztli

to many benefits to count when you root however the biggest draw back to rooting is owns own stupidity  ( depending on the person you increase the chance of bricking the phone anywhere from 1% to 100% ) the nice things about being root tend to be better performance ( access to different kernels and roms -- which i wish we had but not enough dev's to do this so it takes a while before a release is made -- access to themes, build.prop tweaks... the ability to get rid of bloat software and controversial software ( ie carrierIQ)  it pretty much breaks down to do you want to play with your phone and make it how you want it or are you fine with how it came.

December 20, 2011 at 5:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sgt Recon
Site Owner

Dont forget application backup and restoration, major tweak intergration (for example, I own an Evo 3D, and I flashed a zip file via recovery, and I now have Beats Audio quality sound, which is like apples to seeds when you compare it to the regular sound quality on the device) but like Miquiztli said, too many pros to count. and the only way you can truly brick a phone is flashing a bad image in a mode called fastboot (or people have built scripts that purposely brick a phone so that developers can build software that unbricks the phone, which would then make your device pretty much bulletproof)

December 21, 2011 at 12:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Deviath

Thank you for the input. Not happy with the lag on my Echo however I would want ICS of course like everyone else but noted alot about the GPU being the cause of lag rather than the Android build in other forums

--

Deviath of Lethal Injektion

December 21, 2011 at 9:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Deviath

I'm mainly worried about repurcussions from my carrier if that even applies

December 22, 2011 at 9:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sgt Recon
Site Owner
They are idiots at sprint to be honest, they don't know what recovery is and all that stuff, your will void your warranty, but just brick your device if you want another one, which they are all over the internet for, just do one of those.... And go get a new device lol
December 22, 2011 at 1:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dre89

Sprint, really no carrier at all, will never know and even if they did if your device ends up perma bricked they can't tell anyway. Just add the insurance for the 8$ a month and you can get a new one if worse comes to worse. 

--

If you don't ask then I don't answer.

December 22, 2011 at 2:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

+1 Us :-)

Visitor Count

Like us on Facebook

Donate to Us (For the Project :-)

My donations email is [email protected] . thank you for your contribution :)